Saturday, August 05, 2006
OK, not of my best moments as a human being but pretty fun :-)
A Beer Mile ( http://beermile.com) involves, as one can sure guess, running a mile and drinking beer, things I have done most of my life - since I was 14. Well, not the beer part, I stepped onto the track and did my first 5 minute mile when I was 14
The days of sub 5-minute miles are gone for me, and the days of drinking like a college student are, well, at least less frequent. The Beer Mile, DC Hash style makes some variations from the 'Official" BeerMile © rules:
- 6 beers instead of the usual 4
- Drink your 72 ounces of beer any time from the gun to finish (official beer mile rules are: drink a beer, run a lap -repeat 3 more times). Which made me think there needs to be the Beer 10K/marathon ©, using the beer/lap rules: 25 laps=10K, and a case of beer - you get the first lap free with no beer.
- Yes, I realize that is a very bad idea and it would likely kill most of the participants - it was joke!!!
- Drink from any vessel you like. In an official BeerMile © one must drink from the original bottle or can and no 'wide-mouth' bottles are allowed.
- There is no gun; although one might have been advised in the neighborhood we were in. The "track" was basically a macadam road inside a fence with a soccer field in the middle. Just like roads in some bad DC neighborhoods, this one was littered with water and soft drink bottles on the edge and little bits of broken glass in spots, cracks, pothoes, etc.
So, you see, it is not so much about the running, and (readers with good taste or sensitivities are advised to stop reading at this point)...
There is an award for 'best vomit', which seems like a sane idea to get as much of the 72 ounces of hastily consumed (usually cheap) beer out as quickly as possible!
Oh, I finished in 8:08, 2nd place out of about 30 whackos who showed up early Friday evening to participate in front at least that many fans and supporters sitting in stands leisurely drinking beers from their own coolers.
In 20 months, I plan to set the world age group record for the offical BeerMile ©!
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]